Biological Weapons Convention – Meetings of Experts
MX2 – Review of Developments in the Field of Science and Technology Related to the Convention
The Meeting of Experts on Review of Developments in the Field of Science and Technology Related to the Convention took place from 9 to 10 August 2018, at the Palais des Nations, in Room XVII.
MX2 was chaired by Mr Pedro Luiz Dalcero of Brazil and considered the following topics:
- Review of science and technology developments relevant to the Convention, including for the enhanced implementation of all articles of the Convention as well as the identification of potential benefits and risks of new science and technology developments relevant to the Convention, with a particular attention to positive implications;
- Biological risk assessment and management;
- Development of a voluntary model code of conduct for biological scientists and all relevant personnel, and biosecurity education, by drawing on the work already done on this issue in the context of the Convention, adaptable to national requirements;
- In 2018, the MX2 will address the specific topic of genome editing, taking into consideration, as appropriate, the issues identified above;
- Any other science and technology developments of relevance to the Convention and also to the activities of relevant multilateral organizations such as the WHO, OIE, FAO, IPPC and OPCW.