Biological Weapons Convention – Meetings of Experts
MX4 – Assistance, Response and Preparedness
The Meeting of Experts on Assistance, Response and Preparedness will take place from 6 to 7 September 2021, at the Palais des Nations, in Room XIX.
MX4 will be chaired by Ambassador Elena Kuzmanovska Biondic of the Republic of North Macedonia and will consider the following topic:
- Practical challenges facing the implementation of Article VII, and possible solutions;
- A set of guidelines and formats to assist a State Party, if required, when submitting an application for assistance in the framework of Article VII;
- Procedures, including the establishment and use of the assistance database, to improve the prompt and efficient response without preconditions to a request of assistance by a State Party under Article VII, and coordination and cooperation among States Parties and with relevant international and regional organizations such as WHO, OIE and FAO, as appropriate;
- Examination of how the concept of mobile biomedical units might contribute to effective assistance, response and preparation with a view to enhancing implementation of the Convention;
- Exploration of approaches by which States Parties, individually or collectively, might contribute to the strengthening of international response capabilities for infectious disease outbreaks, whether natural or deliberate in origin;
- Exploration of means to prepare for, respond to and render assistance in case of the possible hostile use of biological agents and toxins against agriculture, livestock as well as the natural environment.
Click here for the annotated programme of work for the Meeting of Experts