Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons – Group of Governmental Experts on Lethal Autonomous Weapons Systems
First session of the GGE on LAWS (21 to 25 September 2020)
5. (a) An exploration of the potential challenges posed by emerging technologies in the area of Lethal Autonomous Weapons Systems to International Humanitarian Law
5. (b) Characterization of the systems under consideration in order to promote a common understanding on concepts and characteristics relevant to the objectives and purposes of the Convention
5. (c) Further consideration of the human element in the use of lethal force; aspects of human-machine interaction in the development, deployment and use of emerging technologies in the area of lethal autonomous weapons systems
5. (d) Review of potential military applications of related technologies in the context of the Group’s work
5. (e) Possible options for addressing the humanitarian and international security challenges posed by emerging technologies in the area of lethal autonomous weapons systems in the context of the objectives and purposes of the Convention without prejudging policy outcomes and taking into account past, present and future proposals.
5. (f) Consensus recommendations in relation to the clarification, consideration and development of aspects of the normative and operational framework on emerging technologies in area of lethal autonomous weapons systems