Open-ended Working Group on security of and in the use of information and communications technologies
Mr. Burhan Gafoor is Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Singapore to the United Nations in New York.
He joined the Foreign Service in 1988 and served in many roles.
- High Commissioner to Australia (2014 to 2016)
- Ambassador and Chief Negotiator for Climate Change Negotiations (2010 to 2014)
- Ambassador to France (2007 to 2010), with concurrent accreditation as Ambassador to Portugal
- Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva (2004 to 2007), with concurrent accreditation as Ambassador to Turkey
- Press Secretary to Prime Minister of Singapore (2002 to 2004)
Ambassador Gafoor is/was actively involved in various roles at the United Nations and other international organisations, including:
- Chair of the United Nations Open-ended Working Group on cybersecurity (2021 – 2025)
- President of the thirtieth Meeting of States Parties to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (2020 – 2021)
- Vice-President of 74th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (2019- 2020)
- Chair of the Sixth Committee (Legal), 72nd Session of the United Nations General Assembly (2017 – 2018)
- Governor on the Board of Governors of the IAEA, Vienna (2006-2007)
- Chairman of the Special Session of the Committee on Trade and Development, WTO (2006 to 2007)
- President of the Diplomatic Conference of the World Intellectual Property Organisation (March 2006)
Educational Background: Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) degree in Political Science from the National University of Singapore in 1988; Masters degree in Public Administration from the John F Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in 1997; Degree in Public Administration from the Ecole Nationale d’Administration in Paris in 2002.
Ambassador Gafoor was awarded the Public Administration Medal (Silver) in 2001 and the Public Administration Medal (Gold) in 2013 by the Singapore Government. Mr. Gafoor was also awarded the “Grand Officer de l’Ordre National du Mérite” medal by the Government of France in 2011.
Ambassador Gafoor is married to Ms Zarina Varukatty and they have two boys aged 14 and 18.