By operative paragraph 6 of its resolution 74/53 (A/RES/74/53), the General Assembly of the United Nations:
Reaffirms its decision, with a view to further development of the Register, to keep the scope of, participation in and use of the Register under review, and to that end requests the Secretary-General, with the assistance of a group of governmental experts to be convened for a week each at the end of 2021 and at the beginning and in the middle of 2022 within existing resources, with the broadest possible participation, and on the basis of equitable geographical representation, to prepare a report on the continuing operation and relevance of the Register, including by exploring the relationship between the participation in, scope of and use of the Register, and its further development, taking into account the work of the Conference on Disarmament, relevant deliberations within the United Nations, the views expressed by Member States and the reports of the Secretary-General on the continuing operation of the Register and its further development, with a view to taking a decision at its seventy-seventh session.
- Responding to this request, the above-mentioned group of governmental experts will meet for three one-week sessions, which are scheduled as follows:
- Pre-session briefing: 21-22 February 2022, Virtual
- First meeting: 14-18 March 2022, Geneva
- Second meeting: 16-20 May 2022, New York
- Third meeting: 13-17 June 2022, Geneva